So, I have not written in a while – been super busy with baby, husband, and life – all the things everyone has. I am sure you have your own super busy list. One of my goals for 2014 is to get my blog back in action and so it can be something I can share and be proud of! I am currently working with a consulting firm to get the look and feel I want and I hope to unveil something beautifully fun very soon!
Lightning Date Night
I recently started meal planning and it is really helping us to stay on track, spend less, try new recipes and definitely eat better. Plus, it helps us avoid the “What’s for dinner tonight?” debate. I have only been doing it for one week and it’s been good so far. It takes some time to plan each recipe and time to make sure you have (or buy) the needed ingredients, but I think it’s worth it.
This week’s menu:
Monday – (Meatless) Skinny Cheese and Veggie Baked Penne with salad
Tuesday – Chicken with Red Wine Sauce and Baked Sweet Potato
Wednesday – Salmon for Rob and Veggie Sushi for Me
Thursday – Orange Roasted Chicken, Broccoli with salad
Friday – Saturday – Sunday – unplanned since we are not sure about weekend plans just yet!
Sorry about the poor picture quality this go around. I was too lazy to dig out the Nikon. LOL!
Skinny Cheese and Veggie Baked Penne
- ½ box of Ronzoni 150 Calories Penne (Tastes the same! Yes, I will take 25% fewer calories please.)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 small bell pepper (any color), chopped (1/2 cup) (I use frozen when I am in a hurry!)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or Tastefully Simple Garlic, Garlic
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced and quartered
- ½ can whole black olives, drained
- 1 jar (14 to 15 oz) tomato pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup Reduced or Fat Free Ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded Reduced Fat Italian cheese blend or mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Spray glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cook and drain pasta.
- Heat large skillet with cooking spray and cook onion, bell pepper and garlic 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the zucchini quarters; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in olives and the pasta sauce. Heat until bubbly.
- In a separate bowl mix ricotta cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese (optional) and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Place penne in baking dish. Pour half of sauce mixture over and then dollop ricotta mixture around the dish. Layer again with penne, sauce, cheese – reserving about a cup of sauce mixture to spread over the top. Sprinkle remainder of cheese on top. This is skinny so it won’t be drenched in cheese like Nona’s lasagna. J
- Cover well with foil and bake 30 – 35 minutes. Bake uncovered 5 to 10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. I also broil on high for 5 minutes to crisp it up but that is up to you.
What is your favorite meatless dish??